The programme is planned to provide persons with the opportunity of obtaining broad knowledge and skill in both theoretical and practical aspects of Computer Science. Students will be taught and trained on how to write programs for problem solving, software and application development, thus leading to production highly innovative and creative graduates that are competent enough to stand on their own in labour market.
The objectives of the B.Sc. degree in Computer Science are to:
- Train students in necessary computing skills and programming languages to provide effective service to industries, companies, academic environment and other sectors.
- Engage in appropriate research activities, and, hence, produce the most sought-after engineers by all employers of labour, post graduate schools and research institutes.
- Establish industry-institution linkages for mutually beneficial relationships.
- To produce graduates with adequate knowledge and skill needed for further studies in Computer Science or other closely related field.
- Provide State-of-the-art technological training that prepares the graduates for responsibilities of the workplace.
The entry requirements shall be at least credit level passes in five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Physics to form the core subjects with credit in any other two relevant science subjects, at the Senior Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent. In addition, an acceptable pass in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), with relevant subject combination is required for Admission into 100 Level. Direct Entry Student may be eligible for admission into 200 level if they have any of the following in addition to the University/College general admission requirements:
- UTME—for admission into any of the first degree programs of the university, candidates are required to possess the following minimum qualifications: SSCE or its equivalents with credit level passes in five subjects at not more than two (2) sittings. These include English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Candidates must also earn an acceptable score in the post UTME screening. (ii) Direct Entry—Candidates seeking admission by Direct Entry into 200 Level must have at least five (5) O'level credits, with a minimum of two
- Relevant subjects at GCE/IJMB Advanced level or any approved equivalents in relevant science subjects.